Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shrimp pasta with a little bit of everything :)

I've really been trying hard to stay away from the grocery store as much as I can :) We spend so much... so much $$ on food! However, we do eat very healthy so it's hard not to eat fresh and go often.

Today I was all set to throw a whole chicken in the crockpot, but when I took it out of the packaging it smelled bad! So now I have to take it back and get another. So I decided to go with shrimp for dinner... my go to for any meal I'm not prepared for. I always have a bag of wild shrimp in the freezer ready for easy dinner.

Shrimp pasta (serves 3)
Ingredients:
-18 shrimp (no shells)
-2 cups of broccoli cut up
-4 garlic cloves minced
-1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
-crushed red pepper
- 1/3 package thin whole wheat spaghetti

-Cook spaghetti as directed on package
-Sauté broccoli & garlic over med high heat in 1 tbsp olive oil until it starts to get tender
-Add Shrimp, sundried tomatoes, and capers and sauté for about 3 minutes stirring a lot
-Add cherry tomatoes and spinach and stir
-Add lemon, white wine, butter and approx 2 tbsp olive oil and stir together. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper
-Simmer and stir on med or med low heat for approx 5 minutes.
-Pour shrimp sauce over pasta and top with parmesan cheese and extra red pepper for more spice.

I thought this was really yummy and the presentation was beautiful.


2 comments: